Wayes associates were involved with THUS for a period of two years, from its initial growth from the internal telecoms unit within ScottishPower to its launch as a fully fledged carrier.
THUS (formerly known as Scottish Telecom) was originally established by ScottishPower in 1994. THUS provides communications solutions to business customers throughout the UK under the THUS and Demon brands.
Wayes associates had direct involvement in all aspects of operating network development, ranging from assisting in the development of the business case to the implementation of procedures and processes to manage the network and its customers.
This includes such tasks as:
- Generation of the PSTN switch request to tender, the subsequent analysis of vendor responses technical and commercial, co-ordination of the supply of equipment and its integration into an SDH backbone transmission bearer.
- Representing Thus on UK Regulatory task groups, notably 'Number Portability', 'CCITT ISUP' and 'Intelligent Network'
- Technical evaluation and design of Thus' interconnect with British Telecom covering all technical issues including capacity modelling, forecasting and orders, routing arrangements, emergency routing and planning, numbering orders etc. The procedures and tools being subsequently used for interconnect with other licensed operators.
- Design and creation of Thus' switched and management networks, including all switch data fill
- Assisted Thus' marketing team in the development of its tariff plan and service rollout, including the analysis of interconnection wholesale tariffs. Wayes also helped develop Thus' short and long term national numbering strategy
- Auditor of Thus' billing and network monitoring systems
- Architectural advisors on the development of new service creation platforms, including intelligent networks, call completion services and advanced signalling systems etc.
- Management of the day to day running of the THUS Novell & cc:Mail local area network and the UNIX & VMS boxes. This covered such tasks as user support, system installation, software/hardware selection, network management (using NMC Vision), planning future system enhancements, writing operational procedures and database administrator of their Ingres database system
- The development of operational procedures for the provision of leased line and telecommunication switched services. Defining all operational aspects of the interconnect with BT, including national numbering provision, interconnect billing and O & M of the physical interconnect links.